16 May Top Five Reasons to Get Married in Tuscany
All photos in this post credit Domenico Costabile
This is a guest post contributed by Jennifer Martin. If you’d like to blog for NOIAW, e-mail email@example.com with your ideas!
A few years ago I had the opportunity to fulfill my dream when the love of my life proposed and the wedding planning began. For me, there just wasn’t a question of where to get married — it had to be Italy. I fell in love with Italy many years ago during a study abroad program in college, and after many visits throughout the country, I knew that one day I would return to celebrate one of the most important days of my life.
After planning the whole wedding from scratch myself from the comfort of my home, I recently published a book, Planning Your Dream Wedding in Tuscany, so that many other brides and grooms could share in the fantasy day that my husband and I experienced. The book covers the most important part, the legalities of getting married in Italy, and also provides suggestions and recommendations for selecting a venue, photographers, music and more.
Why Tuscany, you ask? Here’s a short list of five main reasons why Tuscany should be your choice for your wedding day.
1. The region of Tuscany is centrally located, which gives you plenty of choices if you remain in Italy for your honeymoon. You can easily travel north up to the lakes and alpine regions or south toward beaches and sunshine.
2. Some of Italy’s finest wines hail from the region of Tuscany. Of course, we’re all familiar with the famous Chianti or Chianti Classico made from the Sangiovese grape, but you may not have heard of show-stopping Tuscan wines like Brunello di Montalcino and Vino Nobile di Montepulciano (both are clones of the Sangiovese grape.) Tuscany also boasts notable white wines, such as Vernaccia from the town of San Gimignano and Vermentino.
3. You’ll have access to some of the finest, freshest and tastiest food in the world. Tuscan cuisine is simple and flavorful. Filled with an abundance of fresh vegetables, Tuscan olive oil, beans and game meat including the Tuscan specialty wild boar and bistecca alla fiorentina, the beef of the chianina cow.
4. Tuscany has endless picture-perfect settings for weddings. Whether you chose to get married in Florence, the capital of Tuscany, with its rich architecture and art, or one of the many medieval towns, or maybe out in the countryside at a villa or winery amongst the olive groves, sunflower fields and vineyards. Choices are in abundance!
5. A marriage under the Tuscan sun. There’s a reason why the “Under the Tuscan Sun” movie is such a hit. Everyone wants to live the Tuscan dream and savor la dolce vita: the sweet simplicity of doing nothing other than wining, dining, enjoying the scenery and living life like a local.
This is just a short list of why you should consider getting married in Tuscany. The memories I have from my Tuscan wedding continue to bring me joy. If Italy or Tuscany is on your mind for your wedding, I hope you’ll make your dream day in Tuscany a reality!
Jennifer Martin is an American writer who fell in love with Italy over 15 years ago when she studied abroad in Florence. She has returned there almost a dozen times including her marriage in the town of Bucine. Her love and passion for Italy not only comes from her experience of living there, but also due to her Italian roots. She has traveled all over Italy and has experienced so many beautiful cities, wines, foods and traditions of each region that she loves to share with the world. Vino Travels is her blog focused on Italian wines and travel. She also recently has published her first book, “Planning Your Dream Wedding in Tuscany,” which is available on Amazon. You can subscribe to her blog or follow her on Twitter ,Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram.